- Source of Wealth: Microsoft
- Age: 64
- Birth Place: Seattle, Washington, U.S.
- Height: 5′ 10″ (1.78 m)
- Marital Status: Married (Melinda Gates)
- Full Name: William Henry Gates III
- Nationality: United States
- Date of Birth: October 28, 1955
- Ethnicity: English, German, Scots-Irish
- Occupation: Chairman of Microsoft, Businessman, Investor
- Education: Dropout, Harvard University
- Children: 3 (Jennifer Katharine, Phoebe Adele, Rory John)
American business magnate, computer programmer, investor, philanthropist and author, Bill Gates has a net worth of $109 billion in November 2019. The software giant and current richest person in the world co-founded the largest computer software company in the world, Microsoft, with Paul Allen.
The company officially established on April 4, 1975, with Bill Gates as the CEO. He stepped down as Microsoft’s CEO in 2008, to concentrate with his charity work through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. A charitable foundation he founded with his wife, Melinda. He is now the world’s second-richest person and United States’ richest person.
Since becoming a billionaire, Bill Gates has since donated over $28 billion to charities and encouraged over 40 of the world’s wealthiest to sign his “Giving Pledge,” aim to donate the majority of their wealth to charity during their lifetimes. He started giving to charity in 1999 when he donated $16 billion in Microsoft stock to his family foundation. With Warren Buffett as one of the biggest donor, the foundation is now one of the biggest philanthropic institutions in the world.
His charity tackles AIDS, tuberculosis, polio and funds famine-resistant crops to fight hunger mostly in Africa.